From: Tim R J Langford [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:42 AM
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to not send nillable="true" for null elements in a SOAP
message

Hello All,

I am still trying to remove 'nil="true"' elements from my messages sent out by axis. I have modified the wsdl in elements where I want axis not to send these strings (i.e: have a "blank" element) as follows :

<element name="sendNothingIfNull" nillable="true" type="xsd:string"/>

to :

<element name="sendNothingIfNull" nillable="false" minOccurs="0" type="xsd:string"/>

so that instead of sending :

<someXML>
   <sendNothingIfNull xsi:type="xsd:string" xsi:nil="true"/>
</someXML>

I send something like :

<someXML></someXML>

I have tried a few other methods (such as the one Rod suggested not specifying "nillable" at all in the schema and setting minOccurs="0") but axis keeps sending these elements as nillable. Should this work or am I making a mistake somwhere?

It may be PEBCAK but I just cant get axis1.3 to exhibit the behavior the server expects. Is there any other lower level method in axis to deal with this? (I traced the code calls down to the HTTP sender class but even at this level there is no easy access to the string as it is being passed by chunk encoded HTTP - and of course in some cases the server we are trying to attach too actually wants us to send these nillable="true" elements so this approach is not suitable).

I know I must have exhausted all you guys by now! Sorry, and thanks.

Tim

PS: I am generating the axis code form the wsdl using the following ant task configuration :

       <axis-wsdl2java
             output="${src.dir}"
             deployScope="Application"
             verbose="true"
             serverSide="true"
            wrapArrays="true"
url="eurostar_hack2.wsdl"> </axis-wsdl2java>

Rodrigo Ruiz wrote:

By what you describe, I think you should add minOccurs='0' and remove nillable='true'

Regards,
Rodrigo Ruiz

Tim R J Langford wrote:

Thanks Anne,

Thats what I thought. Unfortunatly our provider does not seem too clued up on their tech, and the wsdl does not allow minOccurs="0". I

guess I will have to update our automated build process to fix their schema before generating my soap beans and classes. The best way to do this would be by adding minOccurs="0" to the faulty elements I presume?

Thanks to everybody for their time,

Tim

Anne Thomas Manes wrote:

If the service cannot accept xsi:nil="true" then the service provider should adjust the schema accordingly. Does the schema allow

minOccurs="0"? If not, then there's no valid way to send no element instead of xsi:nil="true".

Anne