You said it yourself!
"I searched my system for tools.jar and so I copied the one I have in c:\j2dsk1.4.2_10\lib to axis\WEB-INF\lib "
Then your error said:
:Invalid class file format in C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\lib\rt.jar(java/util/Enumeration.class)."
Do you see it? You have two different versions of Java in play.
The next thing is that the correct version of tools.jar needs to go in the Tomcat/common/lib directory, not axis. Make sense now? 8)

HTH!

Jim
Jim Strathmeyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So I have Axis set up under Tomcat on WinXP. I’m not very experienced with Tomcat, MS Windows, or Java, but still very experienced with computers. I’m having some huge problems setting up axis.

First off, when I load http://localhost:8080/axis/EchoHeaders.jws?method=list I would get a “tools.jar: file not found” error. I searched my system for tools.jar and so I copied the one I have in c:\j2dsk1.4.2_10\lib to axis\WEB-INF\lib and I get the faultstring “Error while compiling:  C:\Program Files\Tomcat 5.5\webapps\axis\WEB-INF\jwsClasses\EchoHeaders.java”, and the errors starts out to say: “Error compiling C:\Program Files\Tomcat 5.5\webapps\axis\WEB-INF\jwsClasses\EchoHeaders.java: Line 0, column 0: could not parse error message:  Note: sun.tools.javac.Main has been deprecated. error: Invalid class file format in C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\lib\rt.jar(java/util/Enumeration.class).  The major.minor version '49.0' is too recent for this tool to understand.
C:\Program Files\Tomcat 5.5\webapps\axis\WEB-INF\jwsClasses\EchoHeaders.java:22: Class java.util.Enumeration not found in import.”

Second, in the userguide I am trying to run the test client under the heading “Consuming Web Services with Axis: Basics – Getting Started”. If I go into the axis-classes directory and type ‘java samples.userguide.example1.TestClient’ I get “Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/axis/client/Service at samples.userguide.example1.TestClient.main(TestClient.java:31)”.

However, if I go into the samples\userguide\example1 directory and type “java TestClient” I get the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: TestClient (wrong name: samples/userguide/example1/TestClient)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Un known Source)

Any idea how I can figure out how to fix these problems?