Ali,
I've been puttering around with axis2 and web services for a couple of months. I also have a strong interest in Web Services over JMS.  Hope the comments below help.

Synchronous means that the client blocks while the service call executes.
Asynchronous means the client doesn't block while the service call executes, the client receives the reply via a callback.

Neither sync or async relate to the transport: HTTP or JMS, etc.

Transports can be a bi-directional over a single channel/connection like traditional SOAP over HTTP, or uni-directional but needing two channels JMS, or HTTP where the client also listens for a reply.

For dual channel, the client sends a request with the callback endpoint  information embedded in the soap envelope header.  In JMS it would likely be a client created temporary queue name.   For two channel operations the client must launch a listener to get the reply.  The server executes the requested operation and sends the reply or fault back to client's listener.

Axis2 has a a demonstration JMS server that can receive a SOAP calls over JMS, execute the operation and return the results over JMS, see SimpleJMSListener.java.  It took a bit of spelunking through the source code to get it to work as there is no documentation.

The wsdl would indicate JMS.

Hope this helps.

Ali Sadik Kumlali <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm using Axis2's HTTP transport with the type of input+output+fault(s)
messaging. Here is the structure of my WSDL design:

Synchronous operation:
- input: requestMsg
- output: resultMsg
- fault: faultMsg

Asynchronous operation:
- input: requestMsg
- output: ackMsg
- fault: faultMsg

As you can see, whether the client calls synchronous or asynchronous
operation, I respond them back "synchronously" to let them know the
server's status regarding the request.

In the near future, I might be required to support JMS transport, too.
But, AFAIK, JMS is one-way messaging protocol which I don't see a way
to send faults back synchronously.

How does Axis2's JMS transport behave to input-output-fault(s)
operations? Am i going to be required to change my WSDL or something
like that?

Thanks in advance,

Ali Sadik Kumlali