The steps in axis 1.x, assuming a axis.war, are:

1) Compile the applet and put it under axis/*applet.class*/WEB-INF
2) Configure the soapmonitor servlet via web.xml
3) Deploy the soapmonitor web service via the admin client
4) Place references in your web service wsdd such as:

  <requestFlow>
      <handler type="soapmonitor"/>
    </requestFlow>
    <responseFlow>
      <handler type="soapmonitor"/>
    </responseFlow>

5) Load the soap applet in a java 1.3 and higher enabled browser via:

http://localhost:8080/axis/SOAPMonitor

HTH,
Robert
http://www.braziloutsource.com/