I have attempted to add Axis to my own webapp, per the installation
instructions.  The necessary libraries are present and the servlet
declarations are in the web.xml.  I can run the admin client using the axis
web application url and receive the expected results.  But when I attempt to
run the admin client with my own application's url and any deploy.wsdd file
(whether one of the samples or my own) I receive a SAXException error, see
below.

Using own application:
C:\>java -cp %AXISCLASSPATH% org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient
c:\axis-1_3\samp
les\math\deploy.wsdd -lhttp://localhost/MyApp/services/AdminService

(org.apache.axis.i18n.ProjectR
esourceBundle).
Processing file c:\axis-1_3\samples\math\deploy.wsdd
Exception: AxisFault
 faultSubcode:
 faultString: org.xml.sax.SAXException: Processing instructions are not
allowed
within SOAP messages
 faultActor:
 faultNode:
 faultDetail:
        {http://xml.apache.org/axis/}stackTrace:org.xml.sax.SAXException:
Proces
sing instructions are not allowed within SOAP messages
        at
org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContext.startDTD(Deserializat
ionContext.java:1161)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.maybeDoctypeDecl(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parseInternal(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parse(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.XMLReaderImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
        at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContext.parse(Deserialization
Context.java:227)
        at org.apache.axis.SOAPPart.getAsSOAPEnvelope(SOAPPart.java:696)
        at org.apache.axis.Message.getSOAPEnvelope(Message.java:435)
        at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.readFromSocket(HTTPSender.j
ava:796)
        at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.invoke(HTTPSender.java:144)

        at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.readFromSocket(HTTPSender.j
ava:727)
        at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.invoke(HTTPSender.java:144)

        at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.readFromSocket(HTTPSender.j
ava:727)
        at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.invoke(HTTPSender.java:144)

        at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.readFromSocket(HTTPSender.j
ava:727)
        at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.invoke(HTTPSender.java:144)

        at
org.apache.axis.strategies.InvocationStrategy.visit(InvocationStrateg
y.java:32)
        at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.doVisiting(SimpleChain.java:118)
        at org.apache.axis.client.AxisClient.invoke(AxisClient.java:165)
        at org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient.process(AdminClient.java:439)
        at org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient.process(AdminClient.java:404)
        at org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient.process(AdminClient.java:410)
        at org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient.process(AdminClient.java:320)
        at org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient.main(AdminClient.java:463)

        {http://xml.apache.org/axis/}hostname:myhostname

Using Axis web app:
les\math\deploy.wsdd -lhttp://localhost/axis/services/AdminService
(org.apache.axis.i18n.Project
esourceBundle).
Processing file c:\axis-1_3\samples\math\deploy.wsdd
<Admin>Done processing</Admin>