See Internet RFC 2616 ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2616.txt which is
the HTTP 1.1 spec.  In general, the start line of a an http request
can contain either an absolute URI, and absolute path part of a URI
(among other things).  In section 5.1.2, however, there is a remark,
"The absoluteURI form is REQUIRED when the request is being made to a
proxy."  This may be related to the problem you're seeing.

Jeff