While I agree completely, I have in fact been _required_ to implement stateless session EJB's as Web Services using Axis 1.x under JBoss. The idea is that you can do your DB transactions and rollbacks inside those services, while hooking the service to a ejb-ref that is _stateful_ which can have state and state timeout - all managed by a clusterable container.

The important point is that as strange as this may seem to me and others, axis 1.x and JBoss supported it. Some DB type of people just like EJB transactions in Web Services, as do vendors with marketing budgets

Currently I'm integrating an EJB app with Axis2 - thankfully as any tomcat / servlet container web layer would. However, I came very close to having to implement these services as EJB, which would have required either JAX-WS or Axis 1.x , as Axis2 just isn't an option.

For more on what JBoss supports for the sake of discussion:

http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=WebServiceStacks

Just my 2 cents,
Robert
http://www.braziloutsource.com/

On 6/16/06, Eran Chinthaka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
GOBE HOBONA wrote:

> My interpretation of the original question was "why does Axis2 not
> support such features of the J2EE as Enterprise Java Beans (EJB 3.0
> specifically), annotations, persistence etc.?"

Axis2 supporting EJBs? My mind started malfunctioning :).

"..The approach of taking a J2EE application server and shoving a Web
Services layer in front of is not the right way to go about implementing
a services platform.." - Sanjiva Weerawarana
(http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3612491)

I think the reason for people asking this kind of questions is that the
J2EE providers have done exactly what Sanjiva had mentioned. So people
think EJBs should be supported inside a web service engine.

-- Chinthaka