On Thursday 06 July 2006 04:35, Matthew Brown wrote:
> Davanum,
>
> I had tried this previously and the only effect that I noticed was
> that the encoding attribute of my request message's prolog changed.
> The response message was still being parsed as UTF-8 (which the
> headers had said) although it was truly 16.
>
> Anyway, now that the service provider has changed their service to
> return true UTF-8 data, and Xerces still has trouble interpreting the
> UTF-8 BOM before the prolog, I have found a very hack-ish solution:
> Add a handler that will remove any characters in the currentMessage
> if the MessageContext is past the pivot. This doesn't feel like a
> great solution to me (why isn't the XML parser prepared to handle the
> BOM? Is the wrong parse method being used?), it works for us for
> right now.

Good to hear you found a workaround. I must admit that problem intrigued
me a bit and after some "googling" I came across a post that said:
Xerces can handle UTF-8 with BOM if given a chance to do so, that is if
Xerces is given an InputStream to parse the XML as Xerces will wrap
this into its own UTF BOM aware Reader. If Xerces however is given a
Reader object instead of an InputStream its the supplied Reader which
determines the encoding (and there seems to be a known problem in this
area with the default Java Reader + UTF-8 + BOM).

Not sure if this is the cause of why your message cannot be decoded
within Axis as I don't know how Axis invokes the SAX Parser. Those more
familiar with the internals of the Axis code may possibly be able to
assess this.

Manuel