Thanks Anne.
I've looked at the examples on the WSS4J website. Looks like what I
need, however I'm still unclear about how to obtain the SOAP envelope
associated with the web service call. E.g. if I'm setting up an
RPC/literal WS call like this -

org.apache.axis.client.Service service = new Service(...);
java.xml.rpc.Call call = service.createCall(...);
// Invoke RPC/literal web service
Object[] params = ...
call.invoke(params);

There is no method on 'Call' which allows me to retrieve the SOAP
envelope.

BTW I'm working with existing code which I didn't write, so this may or
may not be the correct way of doing this.