It is very exciting to see you expert with different ideas discussing
the issues here :-).

I have some misconception about REST. I had thought only POST can be
used if there are some parameter info to transmit. In fact, I am still
not quite sure how to transmit parameter info if GET is used. Say, if
"void operationA(ComplexTypeA complexVar)" is the signature, how can I
pass in the complexTypeA info if using GET?
I am not sure whether I am asking the correct question. Am I trying to
understand REST using a service-oriented view when asking this
question?

Regards,
Xinjun

On 9/3/06, Anne Thomas Manes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Sanjiva,

On 9/2/06, Sanjiva Weerawarana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Anne,
>
> > Good questions. The way I see it, support for REST has more to do with
> > hype than anything else -- especially the way it's been implemented.
> > (which really is POX rather than REST)
>
> As I said in my reply, in Axis2 we do support more than POX- we also
> support GETs. But in principle I agree with your comment .. REST is full
> of hype these days. In Axis2 we *do not* do full REST (with etag support
> and all .. although I am working with Ruwan Linton on a caching module
> that will support it).

POX doesn't imply just supporting POST. POX simply means that you are
formatting the payload as plain XML, without a separate envelope. If
you need to pass additional system-levle information, that should be
specified in the HTTP header or the MIME header. Sometimes POX is
RESTful, and sometimes it isn't. That's an issue of design, not
protocols.

Note that a lot of folks that are campaigning against WS-* for its
complexity (e.g., Tim Bray) are not proposing REST as an alternative
-- just POX.

> > There is a growing backlash against the complexity of SOAP and WS-*,
> > and in response, people are looking for a simpler, more native-Web
> > approach to services. And that's POX -- Plain Old XML over HTTP. HTTP
> > is a very powerful and scalable application protocol. It supports
> > clean separation of header and application payload. It provides a
> > means to support self-describing messages (using MIME types). It
>
> Now you've drunk too much REST coolaid Anne ;-) .. MIME is not self
> describing when it comes to XML .. saying application/xml simply isn't
> enough to "describe" the XML; you do need a schema of some sort.

Ah ... but you don't have to use application/xml. You can define your
own MIME type to type the specific document. And you don't have to
register a MIME type in order to use it.