1. Use a browser to access the https:// url and check if it presents the
correct certificate.

2. Don't confuse your trust store, typically
your .../lib/security/cacerts file, with your key store. The trust
store contains the certificates of of Certification Authorities the
client side of a HTTPS connection 'trusts' and on your client side
should contain the self signed certificate of your server. The key
store contains the private key(s) and should only reside with the owner
of the key, typically the server. Therefore you don't need a key store
on the client side (and no trust store on the server side). Of course
if the client is expected to authenticate to the server the client
needs a keystore with its private key and the server has to have in its
trust store the certificate of the CA that signed the clients
certificate.

Manuel