Yes. Axis2 communicates via SOAP, and supports reasonable
interoperability with any other web services platform that
communicates via SOAP. That is not the issue or consequence I'm
talking about.

If the client is implemented using AXIOM, then it is tied to AXIOM.
You cannot switch to Sun's JAX-WS RI without rewriting your code.
Likewise, if the service is implemented with AXIOM, then it is tied to
AXIOM. Again, you cannot switch to IBM's JAX-WS implementation without
rewriting your code.

AXIOM is a non-standard programming model. That's not necessarily a
bad thing, but it does have consequences. It's like implementing an
application using the project-specific APIs in Hibernate, Spring,
Struts, or any other open source project that defines its own
project-specific API (i.e, not a JSR-sanctioned API).

The fact that Axis2 supports a variety of databinding frameworks does
not change the fact that it does not support JAX-RPC or JAX-WS. If
standard Java API support is important to you, then this is an
important issue. If you have no objection to using a propriatary
programming model, then it is not an important issue. But it is still
an issue that has consequences.

Anne