I'm not exactly sure the right way to proceed with this one. So I looked
at the Axis2 1.0 code and was able to work with it to make this work for
the time being. This is what I did:

1) Created my own servlet that extended AxisServlet (MyAxisServlet)
which overrode the doGet(...) method.
2) Pretty much copied the code from the AxisServlet, except if it is a
REST request, I did this:

        messageContext = createMessageContext(request, response, false);
      processGetRequest(messageContext, request, response);

3) processGetRequest(...) : Got this mostly from the 1.0 code. The only
issue was that for the dispatchAndVerify(...) I had to have both the
RequestURIDispatcher() to get the AxisService and the
RequestURIOperationDispatcher() to get the AxisOperation being used.

I have a feeling that a lot of these change might break what else is
implemented, so if anyone has a real solution to the reason why the
RESTUtil is sending a null inputStream into the processURLRequest, I'm
very willing to listen.

Roshan Punnoose