I call that the "inner build.xml" file, created after you run wsdl2java.
For me, I end up using two build.xml files, one I create and that
autogenerated one.

-- The one I create (outer build.xml, at the project root) is just to
run WSDL2Java (Step #4 of [1]) (I envy those who can remember all the
parameters of command-line wsdl2java, but I definitely need to store
this in an Ant build script.)

-- The inner one is used for creating the service archive (Step #8 of
[1]) and compiling the client into a class (Step #13 of [1]).

That inner build.xml script is actually very useful, and it saves Axis2
users a ton of time in not needing to reinvent the wheel each time they
create a web service.

Glen

[1] http://www.jroller.com/page/gmazza?entry=creating_a_web_service_with