This may be related to AXIOM internally (I don't know if AXIOM is used
in Axis 1, however).  I googled the error message and it seems like the
only thing that could cause that error message to occur (search on "The
attachments stream" within [1]) is that you called *both* getPart() and
getIncomingAttachmentStreams() -- but you can only call one of the
methods.

Glen

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-commons-dev/200703.mbox/%