Michele,

Here's what is see in the http client code:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/httpclient/trunk/src/java/org/apache/commons/httpclient/MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager.java

  /** The default maximum number of connections allowed per host */
   public static final int DEFAULT_MAX_HOST_CONNECTIONS = 2;   // Per
RFC 2616 sec 8.1.4

   /** The default maximum number of connections allowed overall */
   public static final int DEFAULT_MAX_TOTAL_CONNECTIONS = 20;

Could the new threads being created because the old ones are still in
progress? can you bump up the default limits and try?

-- dims