If anyone is going to try this they should realize that their testing may miss code paths which bring in more jars, so the deployed application may continue to have ClassNotFoundExceptions at any time. The real answer is for the developers to classify the jars into build-time and run-time categories, and by features used.

AFAIK, the following jars should be build-time only:
axis2-adb-codegen
axis2-codegen
jaxb-xjc
jibx-bind

This jar should only be needed if you're using ADB:
axis2-adb

These jars should only be needed if you're using JiBX:
axis2-jibx
jibx-run

These jars should only be needed if you're using XMLBeans:
axis2-xmlbeans
xbean

These jars should only be needed if you're using JAXB or JAX-WS:
axis2-jaxbri
axis2-jaxws
axis2-jaxws-api
jaxb-api
jaxb-impl

That still leaves a bunch of other ones where I'm not certain of the uses, including:
annogen
axis2-fastinfoset
axis2-json
axis2-metadata
axis2-spring
jaxen
jettison
neethi
woden
XmlSchema

 - Dennis

Dennis M. Sosnoski
SOA and Web Services in Java
Axis2 Training and Consulting

Rich Adili wrote:
Anin,

I recently went through this exercise. I agree that the jar set is
rather large for deploying a product. My prototype deployment resulted
in a ZIP file of 25 Mbytes. I went through a rather painful trimming
process and only got it down by about half. Below is the advice I
received when I asked this question. It's a painful process to say the
least and requires testing to ensure you haven't missed something.

If you use Ant for your compilation/builds, you specify the precise
classpath (JAR's needed) when building your app.  If you are missing any
JARs, compilation errors will occur.  You can keep pulling out JARs and
testing their use by recompiling the application each time.

This will not work, however, for JARs needed by the JARs that you
include in your classpath.  After doing the above, you'll need to test
the application and check for ClassNotFoundExceptions, and then add in
the needed JARs accordingly.

Rich Adili