Glen Mazza wrote:

I believe that's called "contract last" development

No, IMO it depends on how you (miss)use the concept of "contract" or interface,
not on which language you use to write the contract. I would be very
glad to be able to write the contract in Java and expose it as wsdl via
axis2 :)

(JAX-WS and JAXB) has an excellent implementation in that regard, just
by using annotations you can specify which methods are to become web
services.
Fortunately axis2 guys improve the POJO deployment, they fixed some things in 1.2 (also added some annotations support), but it still requires somo work to be fully functional.

J.K.