For best performance, lot of effort mind you :) is to use OMDataSource
(see test case in AXIOM svn) on the send side. You will have to use
the serialize method the gives you XMLStreamWriter and you can write
out the xml directly to the output stream. On the other side, you can
get a XMLStreamReader using getXMLStreamReaderWithoutCaching on the
returned OMElement. using that you can read whatever pieces you need
from the response.

thanks,
dims