Putting hibernate in the AAR is a special case. It can be done, but
its far easier - as you found out - to put the files under
WEB-INF/classes and the jars in WEB-INF/lib

You can't put hibernate config files inside the AAR because those
config files need to be on the classpath, per the way hibernate loads
those files by default. You can exapnd the AAR though...

What you can do, per Spring is add directories to the classpath, ie,
expand the AAR in WEB-INF/services or WEB-INF/classes/myConfigs

http://www.springframework.org/docs/api/org/springframework/orm/hibernate/LocalSessionFactoryBean.html#setMappingDirectoryLocations(org.springframework.core.io.Resource[])

You of course don't need Spring to run Hibernate - there probably is a
way to do the same thing via just hibernate - you'll have to google on
that though since I prefer to use Spring to configure Hibernate.

HTH,
Robert