I do something similar.  I grab the SOAPMessage and parse a couple of
attributes of the message.  The whole thing then gets stored into a
database.  I had to create a custom handler to do this work and then insert
the handler into the handler chain.

Once the handler gets the message you will have access to the xml.

The handler code looks something like this....

public void invoke(MessageContext msgContext)throws AxisFault
{
            SOAPMessageContext soapCntxt = (SOAPMessageContext)msgContext;
            SOAPMessage message = soapCntxt.getMessage();
            SOAPBody body = message.getSOAPBody();

}

You'll need to modify you server deploy descripter (wsdd) to insert the
handler in the chain.

I hope this helps.

Mike