Hello Eicher,
Hotupdate works properly with axis2-1.3. I just tried with axis2-1.3 installed on tomcat 6.0.10/Windows XP. Please go through the following steps to identify your problem and let us know if you experience the same issue again.

- Edit /conf/axis2.xml by setting <parameter name="hotupdate" >true</parameter>
- Restart tomcat
- Deploy a service
- Go to http://localhost:8080/axis2/axis2-admin/listService page. You can see the deployed service there - Now update some property in services.xml in your service archive. (Update a service level parameter in the services.xml, if you are using winrar, you can update the files inside *.aar without extracting the archive) - Go to http://localhost:8080/axis2/axis2-admin/selectServiceParaEdit page, select your service from the drop down
- You should be able to see the updated parameters

Thanks and regards
Charitha

Eichler, Wolfgang wrote:

I set in config/axis2.xml:
<parameter name="hotupdate" >true</parameter>

http://localhost:8080/axis2/axis2-admin/upload shows:
Hot update of existing service archives is enabled

But if I copy a new *.aar file, the service is not updated
automatically. I have to use
http://localhost:8080/manager/html/reload?path=/axis2
to reload.

This is on Windows using Tomcat 6.0.14,  Axis2-1.3
Any hints?

Thanks and apologize for the newbee question ...

Wolfgang Eichler