Oliver,

The WS-I Basic Profile specifies that each operation must have a
unique signature. (The SOAP and WSDL specifications don't address this
issue, therefore it's unspecified.) On a practical level, the SOAP
engine requires some means to determine how to dispatch the request,
therefore it needs some type of signature.

Per the WS-I BP, an operation's signature is defined as the qualified
name of the child element of the SOAP Body element. If you define the
input message part for one of your operations as element="xsd:any",
you would have no way to differentiate that operation from any other
operation. Therefore, if you want to expose multiple operations in the
service, you must define unique wrapper elements for each one.

Axis follows the WS-I BP signature requirements. Axis2 allows for
other methods to specify the signature, such as the SOAPAction header
or a WSA Action value.

Anne