I have only searched around these forums and the apache issues forums so
please forgive me if this is already stated.

Does any have a better way to get the data out of an xml node using saaj?  I
have looked at using alternatives like axiom, however, I need to modify just
about every part of my soap message to work with our middle ware.

The SOAPBody.getElementByName("tagName").item(index).getValue() doesn't
return anything for me but null.
SOAPElement.getTextContent() returns a TODO exception.

Basically I have to loop through every node, check if it is a SOAPElement,
then check the LocalName, then get it's children and so on until I come to
the data I want.  then do a SOAPElement.getValue();  Like the solution
mentioned in AXIS2-3050 at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-3050

Any Suggestions?  Here is what I am working with

SOAPMessage reply = connection.call(message, destination);
SOAPBody sb = reply.getSOAPBody();
sb.Something for easier parsing than nested loops and conditionals

The reply xml from the connection.call is

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<soapenv:Envelope
        xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
        xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";>
 <soapenv:Body>
  <xsd:startSessionResponse
soapenv:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/";>
   <return xsi:type="xsd:string">sessionID</return>
  </xsd:startSessionResponse>
 </soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

Thank you in advance,