From: Wojciech Buczak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 8:55 PM
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: problem: AXIS client <=> .NET service (wrong content of the
SOAP messages)

Hi,

I've encountered a problem while using AXIS-generated java client that
tries to call a .NET web service.  Using AXIS 1.4 I've generated the
client's stub from WSDL of the OPC DA XML web service and tried to call
some of it's interfaces. While some of them work fine, calling some
others end up with exceptions, like:

xisFault

 faultCode: {http://opcfoundation.org/webservices/XMLDA/1.0/}E_FAIL

 faultSubcode:

 faultString: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
--&gt; Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

 faultActor:

 faultNode:

 faultDetail:

            {http://xml.apache.org/axis/}stackTrace:Object reference not
set to an instance of an object. --> Object reference not set to an
instance of an object.

            at
org.apache.axis.message.SOAPFaultBuilder.createFault(SOAPFaultBuilder.ja
va:222)

At the same time, there's no problem at all accessing the service with a
.NET client!  Trying to debug the problem, I've "sniffered" the SOAP
request messages that are sent to the web service from both - the .NET
client and my AXIS java client, and was a bit surprised to se a tag
missing in the message request constructed by the AXIS client:

The .NET request (calling "Read") interface:

<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";>

   <s:Body xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";>

      <Read xmlns="http://opcfoundation.org/webservices/XMLDA/1.0/";>

 <Options ReturnItemTime="true" ReturnItemName="true"
ClientRequestHandle="" LocaleID="en-us" />

 <ItemList MaxAge="1000">

   <Items ItemPath="DA20" ItemName="Dynamic/Analog Types/Int"
ClientItemHandle="" />

 </ItemList>

    </Read>

  </s:Body>

</s:Envelope>

And the one coming from the AXIS client:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<soapenv:Envelope
xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
xmlns:xsd=http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema

xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";>

<soapenv:Body>

  <Options ReturnDiagnosticInfo="false" ReturnErrorText="false"
ReturnItemName="false" ReturnItemPath="false" ReturnItemTime="false"

  xmlns="http://opcfoundation.org/webservices/XMLDA/1.0/"; />

  <ItemList xmlns="http://opcfoundation.org/webservices/XMLDA/1.0/";>

      <Items ItemName="Dynamic/Analog Types/Int" MaxAge="0" />

  </ItemList>

   </soapenv:Body>

  </soapenv:Envelope>

Comparing the two above messages, one can see, that the "<Read>" does
not exist in the "body" section of the request created by my Axis
client. I guess that might be the reason why the SOAP server responds
for that request with:

<soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";><soap:Body><soap:Fault>

      <faultcode
xmlns:q0="http://opcfoundation.org/webservices/XMLDA/1.0/";>q0:E_FAIL</fa
ultcode>

      <faultstring>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
--&gt; Object reference not set to an instance of an
object.</faultstring>

      <detail/>

    </soap:Fault></soap:Body>

</soap:Envelope>

As it cannot parse properly the message.  In effect, axis raises an
exception, and my request fails.

Has anyone ever had similar problem? If so, what's the best solution for
it?

PS. the WSDL I'm using:
http://opcxml.dnsalias.org:8080/XmlDaSampleServer/Service.asmx?WSDL

And the service: