Hi,

You can do so by setting the following property to application/json,
application/json/badgerfish or text/javascript

msgContext.setProperty(Constants.Configuration.MESSAGE_TYPE,
);

also make sure you have the following in your axis2.xml

<messageFormatter contentType="application/json"
                         class="org.apache.axis2.json.JSONMessageFormatter
"/>
        <messageFormatter contentType="application/json/badgerfish"
                         class="
org.apache.axis2.json.JSONBadgerfishMessageFormatter"/>
        <messageFormatter contentType="text/javascript"
                         class="org.apache.axis2.json.JSONMessageFormatter
"/>

in the messageFoematters section and

<messageBuilder contentType="application/json"
                         class="org.apache.axis2.json.JSONOMBuilder"/>
        <messageBuilder contentType="application/json/badgerfish"
                         class="
org.apache.axis2.json.JSONBadgerfishOMBuilder"/>
        <messageBuilder contentType="text/javascript"
                         class="org.apache.axis2.json.JSONOMBuilder"/>

in the messageBuilders section.

You might also wanna take a look at http://wso2.org/library/768 this article
which describes JSON support in axis2 and explains the above configurations.
Hope that you have a happy time trying JSON and Axis2...

Thanks,
Keith.