From the front end to look at Call Graph I would use either VTune
http://www.intel.com/support/performancetools/sb/cs-021631.htm

or perhaps Jprofiler
http://www.ej-technologies.com/products/jprofiler/overview.html

Then again you can just rename the libraries e.g. from *.jar  to *.jar.old
and add them back in one at a time..

Martin-
----- Original Message -----
From: "Lawrence Mandel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <axis-user@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 5:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Axis2] Axis2 jars and dependencies

*I cleaned up the lists below as they were difficult to read.*

The Axis2 download includes 19 Axis2 jars and 39 third party jars. I'm
trying to understand:

1. Why Axis2 has to be broken up into 19 separate jars. Can any of these
be amalgamated to produce less jars? (I find it confusing that there are
so many and I think most people just put them all on the classpath instead

of thinking about it.)
2. Why Axis2 has so many dependencies. Are some of these dependencies
optional or can they be made optional?

I'd appreciate any help in understanding the requirement, even if just a
pointer to an existing document that I've missed. I did find one wiki page

[1] that started this discussion about a year ago but it's out of date.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Axis2/axis2_std_build_list

Here are lists of the Axis2 jars and the third party jars.

Axis2
--------
axis2-adb-1.3.jar            Used by Java2WSDL and WSDL2Java?
axis2-adb-codegen-1.3.jar    Used by Java2WSDL and WSDL2Java?
axis2-clustering-1.3.jar     ?
axis2-codegen-1.3.jar        WSDL2Java?
axis2-fastinfoset-1.3.jar    ?
axis2-java2wsdl-1.3.jar      Used by the Axis2 kernel to general WSDL
                             on the fly - Am I correct that this is also
                             used for the standalone tool?
axis2-jaxbri-1.3.jar         ?
axis2-jaxws-1.3.jar          Used by kernel? Anything else make use of
this?
axis2-jaxws-api-1.3.jar      Used by kernel? Anything else make use of
this?
axis2-jibx-1.3.jar           Optional?
axis2-json-1.3.jar           Optional? Do I need this if I don't want JSON

                             support?
axis2-jws-api-1.3.jar        Java Web Services API? Is this used by
multiple
                             tools/runtimes?
axis2-kernel-1.3.jar         Core Axis2
axis2-metadata-1.3.jar       ?
axis2-mtompolicy-1.3.jar     Optional?
axis2-saaj-1.3.jar           SOAP attachments - optional?
axis2-saaj-api-1.3.jar       SOAP attachments - optional?
axis2-spring-1.3.jar         Optional?
axis2-xmlbeans-1.3.jar       Optional?

Third Party
----------------
activation-1.1.jar                    MIME support
annogen-0.1.0.jar                     Annotation support
axiom-api-1.2.5.jar                   XML pull parsing
axiom-dom-1.2.5.jar                   XML pull parsing
axiom-impl-1.2.5.jar                  XML pull parsing
backport-util-concurrent-2.2.jar      ?
commons-codec-1.3.jar                 URL encoding?
commons-fileupload-1.1.1.jar          Used for uploading new service
                                      files in the admin client?
commons-httpclient-3.0.1.jar          Used by the Axis2 kernel?
commons-io-1.2.jar                    ?
commons-logging-1.1.jar               Is this related to Log4J?
geronimo-annotation_1.0_spec-1.1.jar  More annotation support?
geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-1.1.jar         JMS bindings?
httpcore-4.0-alpha5.jar               Used by the Axis2 kernel?
httpcore-nio-4.0-alpha5.jar           Used by the Axis2 kernel?
httpcore-niossl-4.0-alpha5.jar        Used by the Axis2 kernel?
jaxb-api-2.0.jar                      Used by the Axis2 kernel?
jaxb-impl-2.0.5.jar                   Used by the Axis2 kernel?
jaxb-xjc-2.0.5.jar                    Used by the Axis2 kernel?
jaxen-1.1.1.jar                       XPath engine - where is this used?
jettison-1.0-RC1.jar                  JSON StAX parser
jibx-bind-1.1.5.jar                   Related to JAXB?
jibx-run-1.1.5.jar                    Related to JAXB?
juli-6.0.10.jar                       ?
log4j-1.2.14.jar                      Logging - Is this optional? I don't
                                      always want to use Log4J - for
example,
                                      when working with Eclipse.
mail-1.4.jar                          MIME support?
mex-impl-1.3.jar                      ?
neethi-2.0.2.jar                      WS Policy - Is this optional?
soapmonitor-1.3.jar                   Is this part of Axis2 or another
project?
                                      Is this just used by the Axis2
runtime
                                      or is it just the standalone SOAP
monitor
                                      tool?
stax-api-1.0.1.jar                    XML pull parsing - I think this
should be
                                      replaced in the next version with
Geronimo's
                                      API as Axiom has made the change
tribes-6.0.10.jar                     ?
woden-1.0-incubating-M7b.jar          WSDL 2.0 support
wsdl4j-1.6.2.jar                      WSDL 1.1 support
wstx-asl-3.2.1.jar                    XML pull parsing
xalan-2.7.0.jar                       XSLT - Where is this used?
xbean-2.2.0.jar                       Looks like a competitor to OSGi -
where is
                                      this used?
xercesImpl-2.8.1.jar                  DOM parser - Does Axis2 actually
need a DOM
                                      parser? I thought everything was
done with
                                      pull parsing.
xml-apis-1.3.03.jar                   DOM parser
XmlSchema-1.3.2.jar                   XML schema support

Thanks,

Lawrence