Unfortunately this is kind of an obtuse question, but I’m hoping someone out
there has ran into this problem before.

I’m currently trying to repackage some existing projects into an EAR for
JBoss (converting from a WAR) because I have some EJB session beans I need
to deploy.  A couple of the sub-projects in the main project I’m trying to
deploy as an EAR contain Axis2 stub clients which use Rampart for
WS-Security.   The .mar’s for WS-Security support are put into a resources
folder under one of the projects, and said project is a dependency of the
only other project using Axis2.

Let me know if I’m leaving-out any details here.. I didn’t actually develop
these stubs, I just tend to be the person who manages our build process.

Whenever I try to include these projects into an EAR using the Maven2 EAR
plugin, I get this error:

[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to initialize ear modules

Embedded error: Unknown artifact type[mar]
[INFO]
[DEBUG] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to initialize
ear modules
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:564)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLifecycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:480)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:459)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:311)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:278)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:143)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:334)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:125)
        at
        at
        at
        at
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: Failed to
initialize ear modules
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.ear.AbstractEarMojo.execute(AbstractEarMojo.java:210)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.ear.GenerateApplicationXmlMojo.execute(GenerateApplicationXmlMojo.java:96)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:443)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:539)
        ... 16 more
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.ear.UnknownArtifactTypeException: Unknown
artifact type[mar]
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.ear.util.ArtifactTypeMappingService.getStandardType(ArtifactTypeMappingService.java:159)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.ear.EarModuleFactory.newEarModule(EarModuleFactory.java:65)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.ear.AbstractEarMojo.execute(AbstractEarMojo.java:203)
        ... 19 more

If I comment out references to the two projects containing Axis2 artifacts,
I can build the ear just fine.

Here are the entries in the pom file for Axis2 1.3 we’re using:
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.axis2</groupId>
            <artifactId>axis2-kernel</artifactId>
            <version>1.3</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.axis2</groupId>
            <artifactId>axis2-adb</artifactId>
            <version>1.3</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.ws.commons.axiom</groupId>
            <artifactId>axiom-api</artifactId>
            <version>1.2.5</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.ws.commons.axiom</groupId>
            <artifactId>axiom-dom</artifactId>
            <version>1.2.5</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.ws.commons.axiom</groupId>
            <artifactId>axiom-impl</artifactId>
            <version>1.2.5</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>wsdl4j</groupId>
            <artifactId>wsdl4j</artifactId>
            <version>1.6.1</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.ws.commons.schema</groupId>
            <artifactId>XmlSchema</artifactId>
            <version>1.2</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>commons-httpclient</groupId>
            <artifactId>commons-httpclient</artifactId>
            <version>3.1-rc1</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.rampart</groupId>
            <artifactId>rampart-core</artifactId>
            <version>1.3</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.rampart</groupId>
            <artifactId>rampart-policy</artifactId>
            <version>1.3</version>
        </dependency>

I’ve tried a bunch of different scenarios including deleting the mars
themselves out of the resources folder, adding the Axis2 mar plugin, etc,
and still I can’t quite get past this.  Has anyone seen this before or have
any suggestions?

Thanks,

- Brandon