I'm using Axis 1.4 and wanting to test web services from a simple java
application to make sure that they are accepting requests and sending back
expected responses:

I setup a call as follows:

String endpoint = "http://localhost/axis/services/ServiceTestService";;
Service service = new Service();
call.setTargetEndpointAddress(new java.net.URL(endpoint));
call.setOperationStyle("rpc");
call.setEncodingStyle("http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/";);
call.setOperationUse("encoded");
call.setOperationName(new QName("urn:ServiceTest", "getServerTimestamp"));
call.setReturnType(Constants.XSD_DATETIME);
Date ret = (Date) call.invoke(new Object[] {});
System.out.println("Recieved: " + ret.toString());
} catch (Exception e) {
System.err.println(e.getMessage());
e.printStackTrace();
}

The invoke call fails with the following message:

java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string:
"vø?¨`Pôy6âF8pþ|(R)]Ä(Å|?-¼Dë;?R¹?ªb_ûfîE]"
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The char
'0x4' after 'java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "vø?¨' is
not a valid XML character.

The input string changes at every execution and if I try to re-execute too
quickly it just sits idle for a while then bails with a null message.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions to point me in the correct direction?

Thanks,

Jeff Vandenberg