I'm working with a web service that someone else has designed and I have
to host one or two operations.

I'm using AXIS2 & XMLBeans databindings.

I've got one operation in my *skeleton class which returns a complex
type.

I've set the object up correctly in my skeleton class, and if you invoke
the .xmlText method, you get correctly formatted XML and I can also get
values correctly from the XMLBeans objects.

The problem comes though when this is returned through AXIS to the
client - the XML that gets returned has no data in it and simply
contains the text "unknown" - but looking closer, it's an AxisFault
that's returned not the response I expect.

I've done some digging and found some options in the axis2.xml which
gives me more details on the exception I'm getting.

Would anyone be able to suggest what I need to do to fix this?

Dumping the XML just prior to this exception shows and it all looks ok.

<xml-fragment xsi:nil="true"
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";><typ:CERS2EXTSYS_H
azmat_Request_Ack xmlns:typ="urn:hazreq/types"><typ:ack_msg
CERSRefId="12736383783" StatusCode="Ok"

 StatusMessage="Message Processed
Succesfully!"/></typ:CERS2EXTSYS_Hazmat_Request_Ack></xml-fragment>

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?><soapenv:Envelope
xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";><soapenv:Body>
<soapenv:Fault><faultcode>soapenv:Server</faultcode><faultstring>unknown

</faultstring><detail><Exception>org.apache.axis2.AxisFault&#xd;

        at org.apache.axis2.AxisFault.makeFault(AxisFault.java:417)&#xd;

        at
com.mcpplc.destin8.cers.soap.EXTSYS2CERSServiceTxMessageReceiverInOut.in
vokeBusinessLogic(EXTSYS2CERSServiceTxMessageReceiverInOut.java:599)&#xd
;

        at
org.apache.axis2.receivers.AbstractInOutSyncMessageReceiver.invokeBusine
ssLogic(AbstractInOutSyncMessageReceiver.java:42)&#xd;

        at
org.apache.axis2.receivers.AbstractMessageReceiver.receive(AbstractMessa
geReceiver.java:96)&#xd;

        at
org.apache.axis2.engine.AxisEngine.receive(AxisEngine.java:145)&#xd;

        at
org.apache.axis2.transport.http.HTTPTransportUtils.processHTTPPostReques
t(HTTPTransportUtils.java:275)&#xd;

        at
org.apache.axis2.transport.http.AxisServlet.doPost(AxisServlet.java:120)
&#xd;

        at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:760)&#xd;

        at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)&#xd;

        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl$ServletInvocationAction.run(Se
rvletStubImpl.java:1077)&#xd;

        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.
java:465)&#xd;

        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.
java:348)&#xd;

        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext$ServletInvocationAction.r
un(WebAppServletContext.java:7047)&#xd;

        at
weblogic.security.acl.internal.AuthenticatedSubject.doAs(AuthenticatedSu
bject.java:321)&#xd;

        at
weblogic.security.service.SecurityManager.runAs(SecurityManager.java:121
)&#xd;

        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.invokeServlet(WebAppServl
etContext.java:3902)&#xd;

        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletRequestImpl.execute(ServletRequestImpl.
java:2773)&#xd;

        at
weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:224)&#xd;

        at
weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:183)&#xd;

Caused by: org.apache.axiom.om.OMException&#xd;

        at
org.apache.axiom.om.impl.builder.StAXOMBuilder.next(StAXOMBuilder.java:2
33)&#xd;

        at
org.apache.axiom.om.impl.llom.OMDocumentImpl.getOMDocumentElement(OMDocu
mentImpl.java:130)&#xd;

        at
org.apache.axiom.om.impl.builder.StAXOMBuilder.getDocumentElement(StAXOM
Builder.java:359)&#xd;

        at
com.mcpplc.destin8.cers.soap.EXTSYS2CERSServiceTxMessageReceiverInOut.to
OM(EXTSYS2CERSServiceTxMessageReceiverInOut.java:947)&#xd;

        at
com.mcpplc.destin8.cers.soap.EXTSYS2CERSServiceTxMessageReceiverInOut.to
Envelope(EXTSYS2CERSServiceTxMessageReceiverInOut.java:1522)&#xd;

        at
com.mcpplc.destin8.cers.soap.EXTSYS2CERSServiceTxMessageReceiverInOut.in
vokeBusinessLogic(EXTSYS2CERSServiceTxMessageReceiverInOut.java:208)&#xd
;

        ... 17 more&#xd;

</Exception></detail></soapenv:Fault></soapenv:Body></soapenv:Envelope>

]