Hi Michael-

Many Thanks to AT for the valuable insight

I found a REST (resource centric) implementation using HTTP transport
located at
https://wadl.dev.java.net/
where each resource has GET and POST methods e.g.

<resources ...>
   <method name="GET" ..>
    <request>
    <param name="appid" type="xsd:string"/>
    https://wadl.dev.java.net/wadl20061109.pdf

using 'simple types' xsd:string as suggested by at

as far as url-encoding
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/topics/urlencoding.htm
you can either write your own converter
or use some manner of XSLT transformer as described
http://www.mnot.net/webdesc/

HTH
Martin