Hi,
I would have a WSDL with a string return field (or a complex type
containing a string element) and would assign the content-id to that
string.

You can have a look at the following articles to figure out how to add
the attachment in the service implementation class..
http://wso2.org/library/1675
http://wso2.org/library/1148

String contentId = messageContext.addAttachment(dataHandler);

thanks,
Thilina