Perhaps your senior architect is confusing "operation" with
"interface". WSDL 2.0 limits a service (i.e., the thing described by
the WSDL) to a single interface. An interface can expose multiple
operations, though. The WSDL 2.0 "interface" is equivalent to a WSDL
1.1 "portType". I disagree with the notion that a service should have
only one interface (e.g., a service might offer a functional interface
and a management interface, and I think the two should be separate),
but plenty of other folks believe that it should be one interface per
service. Note: WSDL 2.0 supports interface inheritance, so you can
define separate interfaces and inherit them into a super interface.

Anne