Hi,
Data Services is a mechanism to expose relational database objects as web
services.
It will return data in your database object (eg. table) in XML format.

Checkout following tutorial @ http://wso2.org/library/2617 .
A collection of such tutorials can be found @ http://wso2.org/library/3183 .

/sumedha