Hans, I'm using JMS for Axis 2 with WebSphere MQ 6.0.2 in production and found some severe limitations with the Axis 2 implementation also - whoever wrote the actual Axis 2 driver has only implemented the bare basics of JMS, and it hasn't been tested with WebSphere at all.

I'm using it over publish subscribe and had to switch the transport to perform explicit message acknowledgement so that it didn't lose messages and so that it would work with durable subscriptions. I also added durable subscription support so that if Axis 2 is down, it gets all the missed messages when it reconnects. Additionally the JMS Sender transport class has memory leaks where it creates a new JNDI context with every message sent and then never cleans it up, causing the actual MQ server to eventually fall over or stop accepting connections (meaning a server reboot).

Also a major issue is that Axis 2 does not handle JMS errors, such as the MQ server or network connections being unavailable. If this happens at all, you need to restart your Axis 2 once the MQ becomes visible again.

I've fixed up a lot of these problems myself, except for the last one. If you're interested, check them out at:
http://thejavamonkey.blogspot.com/2008/08/modding-axis-2-jms-transportweb-sphere.html

I'm not sure if they'll fix your loading issue or not, but it would be possible to also mod the JMS transport to behave differently under your load problems also.

Hans Drexler wrote:
We have implemented a connection between MQ Series 5-7 and axis2 using the axis2 1.4 JMS connectivity and a point-to-point set-up. The implementation basically works, but some questions remain. As long as we use a request/response pattern in the client connecting to our service via jms all is well. In this scenario, the client generates requests at a rate not higher than it receives results. But if we split the client in a separate request Sender and Response reader the following happens: 1) The request sender sends a fixed number (e.g. 10000) messages to the MQ Series request queue. 2) Axis2 immediately starts eating messages out of the queue. Since the JMS worker is single threaded by nature it can handle at most 1 request at a time. The JMS listener starts queueing messages read from MQ Series at the maximum rate it can. This it can do faster than the single JMS worker can handle the requests. 3) As a result, the queue inside axis2 grows until all available memory is exhausted and then it crashes with an Out Of Memory exception. All messages that were loaded in the axis2 queue but not processed by the service are lost. Would it not be better if the JMS Listener would not keep a (long) queue of messages, but block instead until the previous request was finished? That would keep the memory consumption of Tomcat constant and avoids loosing messages. Maybe things are different in a Publish/Subscribe scenario. Also, in a post on axis2-dev, Asanka Perera says jms transport in axis2 is deprecated. Is this true? Are there any recommendations regarding the use of jms transport in combination with axis2? Hans Drexler Application Architect

Utrechtseweg 310 P.O. Box 3047
 NL-6802 DA Arnhem
 The Netherlands

 Phone +31 (0)26 355 06 55
 Fax     +31 (0)26 355 06 66
 http://www.humaninference.com <http://www.humaninference.com/>

Human Inference B.V. - Chamber of Commerce NL - 09106800

The information contained in this communication is confidential and is intended solely for the person and/or entity addressed above. If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that the content of this message may not be disclosed, copied or distributed to any other party than the addressee. Human Inference does not guarantee that this communication is free of viruses or that other parties than the intended recipient will not intercept this communication. Human Inference assumes no liability for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication or any delay in the receipt of this communication by the addressee.

--

Anthony

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ph  +64 4 472 8818
Fax +64 4 472 8811
------------------------------------- www.bcsoft.co.nz --------------------------------------------------------------- This email may contain confidential or privileged information, and is intended for use only by the addressee, or addressees. If you are not the intended recipient please advise the sender immediately and do not copy, use or disclose the contents to any other person or organisation. Black Coffee Software Ltd accepts no responsibility for viruses received with this email, or to any changes made to the original content. Any views or opinions expressed in this email may be personal to the sender and are not necessarily those of Black Coffee Software Ltd. ---------------------------------------------------------------