The level of code you need to write will depend on the level of flexibility
you require. For e.g in the WSO2 Mashup Server [1] we needed quite a bit of
flexibility. So we have,

A custom Deployer
A custom Dispatcher
Custom transport listeners for http/https
Wrappers for WSDL 1.1 and WSDL 2.0 Generators
Our own servelet (which extends AxisServlet)

Thats quite a bit of code to extend the functionality of Axis2. ;).

Thanks,
Keith.

[1] http://wso2.org/projects/mashup