Hi Everybody!

Recently I have stumbled across a curious behavior of the Axis2 Framework.
As I am not sure whether I am doing something wrong or if it is a bug, I try
to outline my experience.
Perhaps someone has made the same experiences.

Basically I have an application, that uses the Axis2 Framework to contact a
web service. So it can be seen as kind of a web service client.

As I am working behind a companies proxy server, I added my proxy setting to
the startup of the program, as usual.
This looks something like:

java -Dhttp.proxyHost=MyProxyhost -Dhttp.proxyPort=MyProxyPort
-Dhttp.nonProxyHosts=MyExcludedHosts gov.nist.registry.xdstest2.XdsTest $*

Funny thing, the program finished with the following stacktrace (only an
extract):

Transport error: 501 Error: Not Implemented
org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: Transport error: 501 Error: Not Implemented
        at
org.apache.axis2.transport.http.HTTPSender.handleResponse(HTTPSender.java:296)
        at
org.apache.axis2.transport.http.HTTPSender.sendViaPost(HTTPSender.java:190)
        at
org.apache.axis2.transport.http.HTTPSender.send(HTTPSender.java:75)
        at
org.apache.axis2.transport.http.CommonsHTTPTransportSender.writeMessageWithCommons(CommonsHTTPTransportSender.java:371)
        at
org.apache.axis2.transport.http.CommonsHTTPTransportSender.invoke(CommonsHTTPTransportSender.java:209)
        at org.apache.axis2.engine.AxisEngine.send(AxisEngine.java:448)
        at
org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.send(OutInAxisOperation.java:401)
        at
org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.executeImpl(OutInAxisOperation.java:228)
        at
org.apache.axis2.client.OperationClient.execute(OperationClient.java:163)
        at
org.apache.axis2.client.ServiceClient.sendReceive(ServiceClient.java:548)
        at
org.apache.axis2.client.ServiceClient.sendReceive(ServiceClient.java:528)
        at gov.nist.registry.common2.registry.Soap.soapCall(Soap.java:60)
        at
gov.nist.registry.xdstest2.StoredQueryTransaction.runSQ(StoredQueryTransaction.java:99)
        at
gov.nist.registry.xdstest2.StoredQueryTransaction.run(StoredQueryTransaction.java:41)
        at gov.nist.registry.xdstest2.StepContext.run(StepContext.java:153)
        at gov.nist.registry.xdstest2.PlanContext.run(PlanContext.java:138)
        at gov.nist.registry.xdstest2.Xdstest2.runTest(Xdstest2.java:263)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedMethod.invoke(CachedMethod.java:95)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.MetaClassHelper.doMethodInvoke(MetaClassHelper.java:599)
        at
groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeStaticMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:1077)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.InvokerHelper.invokeMethod(InvokerHelper.java:744)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.ScriptBytecodeAdapter.invokeMethodN(ScriptBytecodeAdapter.java:167)
        at
gov.nist.registry.xdstest2.XdsTest$_run_closure6.doCall(XdsTest.groovy:353)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedMethod.invoke(CachedMethod.java:95)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.MetaClassHelper.doMethodInvoke(MetaClassHelper.java:599)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.metaclass.ClosureMetaClass.invokeMethod(ClosureMetaClass.java:252)
        at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:740)
        at groovy.lang.Closure.call(Closure.java:292)
        at groovy.lang.Closure.call(Closure.java:305)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.DefaultGroovyMethods.each(DefaultGroovyMethods.java:990)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.DefaultGroovyMethods.each(DefaultGroovyMethods.java:967)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.metaclass.ReflectionMetaMethod.invoke(ReflectionMetaMethod.java:51)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.metaclass.NewInstanceMetaMethod.invoke(NewInstanceMetaMethod.java:54)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.MetaClassHelper.doMethodInvoke(MetaClassHelper.java:599)
        at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:904)
        at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:740)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.InvokerHelper.invokePojoMethod(InvokerHelper.java:761)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.InvokerHelper.invokeMethod(InvokerHelper.java:749)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.ScriptBytecodeAdapter.invokeMethodN(ScriptBytecodeAdapter.java:167)
        at gov.nist.registry.xdstest2.XdsTest.run(XdsTest.groovy:342)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedMethod.invoke(CachedMethod.java:95)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.MetaClassHelper.doMethodInvoke(MetaClassHelper.java:599)
        at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:904)
        at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:740)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.InvokerHelper.invokePogoMethod(InvokerHelper.java:773)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.InvokerHelper.invokeMethod(InvokerHelper.java:753)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.ScriptBytecodeAdapter.invokeMethodN(ScriptBytecodeAdapter.java:167)
        at gov.nist.registry.xdstest2.XdsTest.main(XdsTest.groovy:48)

So as you can see, as soon as I specify a proxy, the Axis2 Framework throws
an 501-Not Implemented Exception. Strange, isn't it?

So I started to google and I got the advice to use HTTP/1.0 instead of
HTTP/1.1 and set the transfer-encoding from chunked to false.  (See here for
details:
http://archives.devshed.com/forums/apache-92/axis2-http-proxy-setting-1846399.html
http://archives.devshed.com/forums/apache-92/axis2-http-proxy-setting-1846399.html
)

So I tried this and voila - it worked!

But my question is very simple. Why does Axis2 does not work when HTTP/1.1
and a proxy is used? Where is the problem? How can I use a proxy and
HTTP/1.1?

Thanks in Advance for both your time and your knowledge!

Greetings
Stefan