  From: Doug Davis
  To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
  Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 6:51 PM
  Subject: Re: Pub\Sub Web Service

  checkout ws-baseNotification:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsn/wsn-ws_base_notification-1.3-spec-os.pdf

  thanks
  -Doug
  (919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  d...@us.ibm.com

        Michael <mtarullo...@optonline.net>
        02/23/2009 06:47 PM Please respond to
              axis-user@ws.apache.org

       To axis-user@ws.apache.org
              cc
              Subject Pub\Sub Web Service

  I am developing a publish\subscribe engine and have exposed both the publish
and subscribe services with web services.

  I am looking for advice on how I might implement a push notification.  Since
the occurrence of some event will trigger notification of all users that
subscribed to the publication of that event how do I go about "pushing" the
notification back out to the clients from the server?

  I have provided for several options in my design.  I am allowing the
subscribers to tell me how they would like to be notified.  The options I
provided are 1) provide an IP address and port and I will send the notification
using java.net; 2) provide a URL and I will send the notification using
java.net; and 3) provide a URL and WSDL file and the name of a web service
method to call and I will use the Axis2 API to generate Java code for the WSDL
and call designated method.  Do these options sound reasonable, particularly
the third one?

  Also, I was wondering if the Axis2 asynchronous call capability might be a
good candidate for this, either in addition to these methods or to replace
them?

  If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

  Thanks, Mike