Hi Avi,

what are the merits of using Axiom on building the soap message tree by
> hand?

It just adds more flexibility. Sorry I don't know a specific scenario where
it comes handy over others.

Is this the only way to do it?

Assuming that I always have the WSDL of the target web services, Is it
> possible that instead of creating the Axiom based tree, a
>    runtime generated proxy (from the WSDL) can be used (and reused later
> on) to call the Web service ?

No, you can use client stub to access the service given that you have the
wsdl. you can code generate your client stub
using WSDL2java tool. It presents you with a nice interface(like a function
call) without any soap message building.Refer some of these article  [1] &
userguide.

Can Axis2 inter-operate successfully with WCF based web services using the
> ServiceClient/OperationClient APIs?

yes, AFAIK . correct me somebody if i am wrong.

cheers,
Pradeep

[1] http://wso2.org/library/2873