I have successfully deployed an Axis 2 application (using version 1.5) as a
EAR file using the Admin Console of the application server (WebSphere 6.1 in
this case). I did not use Axis2 admin console. I am sure that it would have
worked if I packaged this Axis2 app as WAR, instead of EAR.

Following are the steps that I have taken:

MyAxis2 (name of the project)

----src
|     |
       ----simplecalculator
|            |
|             ----CalculatorClientServlet (client for the service)
|             ----CalculatorService (service is exposed here)

----WebContent

       ----META-INF
       |     |
       |     ----services.xml

       ----WEB-INF

            ----web.xml

Following are the code:

web.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app id="WebApp_ID" version="2.4"
xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee";
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd";>
        <display-name>
        MyAxis2</display-name>
        <servlet>
                <description>
                </description>
                <display-name>
                CalculatorClientServlet</display-name>
                <servlet-name>CalculatorClientServlet</servlet-name>
                <servlet-class>
                simpleCalculator.CalculatorClientServlet</servlet-class>
        </servlet>

        <servlet>
                <display-name>Apache-Axis Servlet</display-name>
                <servlet-name>AxisServlet</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>org.apache.axis2.transport.http.AxisServlet</servlet-class>
                <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
        </servlet>

        <servlet-mapping>
                <servlet-name>CalculatorClientServlet</servlet-name>
                <url-pattern>/CalculatorClientServlet</url-pattern>
        </servlet-mapping>

        <servlet-mapping>
                <servlet-name>AxisServlet</servlet-name>
                <url-pattern>/servlet/AxisServlet</url-pattern>
        </servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-mapping>
                <servlet-name>AxisServlet</servlet-name>
                <url-pattern>*.jws</url-pattern>
        </servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-mapping>
                <servlet-name>AxisServlet</servlet-name>
                <url-pattern>/services/*</url-pattern>
        </servlet-mapping>

</web-app>

services.xml:

<service name="CalculatorService" scope="application">
    <description>
        Simple Calculator Service
    </description>

    <parameter
name="ServiceClass">simpleCalculator.CalculatorService</parameter>

    <operation name="getResult">
        <messageReceiver
class="org.apache.axis2.receivers.RawXMLINOutMessageReceiver"/>
    </operation>

    <operation name="setTerms">
        <messageReceiver
class="org.apache.axis2.receivers.RawXMLINOnlyMessageReceiver"/>
    </operation>
</service>

My target endpoint is:
"http://localhost:9081/axis2/services/CalculatorService";

Seems like /axis2/services/ are mandatory in the path.

I packaged this application as EAR file. Next, I deployed it using the Admin
console of WebSphere 6.1.

I invoked the doGet method of Servlet as:
http://localhost:9081/MyAxis2/CalculatorClientServlet.