Note that the notorious Example 5 still doesn't work
in the beta-release candidate. To make it work, you
need to declare the return type by inserting this
line:

call.setReturnType( XMLType.XSD_STRING);

I guess the examples are not tested prior to release,
or maybe I've done something wrong (always possible).
But they are quite valuable given the sparse
documentation, so it would be worth testing them prior
to building a package. If the problem is mine, then
pls excuse my admonition.

Bob Woodley