I have not had any problems with even very large files, 50 meg attachments
worked fine for me.
Could you explain when exactly do you get an error?
What is the stacktrace? (if possible both client and server side)

Just as a wild guess, there were a few problems with upload, and large
message sizes in mod_jk for Apache. If you are having older version of
Apache handling your transport, you may want to get latest mod_jk module.

-Taras