This is a copy from the user guide defining WSDD options:

Scoped Services
Axis supports scoping service objects (the actual Java objects which
implement your methods) three ways. "Request" scope, the default, will
create a new object each time a SOAP request comes in for your service.
"Application" scope will create a singleton shared object to service all
requests. "Session" scope will create a new object for each session-enabled
client who accesses your service. To specify the scope option, you add a
<parameter> to your service like this (where "value" is request, session, or
application):

<service name="MyService"...>
  <parameter name="scope" value="value"/>
</service>