Thanks for your instant reply.
I think i figured out a way to tweak it:

There is transport class which relies on
the http client from the commons package
(CommonsHTTPSender.java).

That one offers more control of the
underlying connection object. I think i will tweak it,
so that it keeps persistent connections and (re)-initiates it on demand.

I just wanted to make sure that no such solution exists,
or someone else is already working on it.
It might also be an interesting patch for the transport package
in general.

So long,
Heiko