Thanks for all the help!  I added the latest xerces to the web-app itself
and things work well now.  This mailing list "axis-user" rocks!

Thanks again!

-Ken

                    "Jung, Eric

                    (Contractor)"         To:     "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    <ejung@russellm       cc:

                    ellon.com>            Subject:     RE: Cannot deploy AXIS service
to WebSphere....

                    10/16/2002

                    10:33 AM

                    Please respond

                    to axis-user

Can you try downloading the latest Xerces, putting its jars in the front of
your CLASSPATH, and running the command again?

Eric H. Jung