Trond,

I hope you don't mind, but I'm posting this note to the general discussion
list. I suspect that others would appreciate it.

There are two possible definitions of the term "asynchronous". In one case,
it means one-way messaging (as I descrbed it below). In the other case it
means non-blocking request/response messaging. In the first case, you don't
use callbacks (because you aren't sending a message back). In the second
case, you do use callbacks. In the first case, it doesn't make sense to use
RPC style, because RPC style assumes a request/response message exhange
pattern. But when it comes right down to it, I suppose it really doesn't
matter whether you structure your one-way message as a document or as an
RPC.

Now, one of the problems you should expect to see is from the fact that the
SOAP/WSDL specifications don't define how a SOAP implementation should
support asynchronous computing, so each implementation is likely to do it
slightly differently (if at all).

Lots of implementations say they support asynchronous communications, when
in fact what they support is asynchronous transport. In other words, they
can transport messages over JMS or some other message queuing system. But
they don't really provide any support within the programming API to support
either one-way messages or non-blocking request/response messages.

As far as I know, MS .NET, BEA, and Systinet WASP are the only
implementations that provide an asynchronous API (built-in support for
non-blocking request/response messages using callbacks).

Anne