----- Original Message -----
From: "Norris Merritt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 13:07
Subject: RE: Interoperative attachments

> If you have an binary type of attachment such as image/jpeg, then it has
> be Base-64 encoded if MIME is used

For email, yes, but not HTTP. And I just verified that with TCP monitor, by
submitting a 4MB MP3 file to my server. [ I am running Axis1.1beta with the
new attachment cleanup code in place, BTW. ]

In terms of bytes consumed, MIME uses less than DIME, which breaks
everything up into fixed size packets; more overhead. But with mime the
recipient needs to scan the incoming stream for a boundary, which may or may
not be load.

Clearly, therefore, the choice of DIME vs MIME is hard to make on
'efficiency' alone; there are other factors like
-what your recipients handle
-what patents MS has applied for on DIME (who knows?)
-what your tools prefer.

Axis server, of course, handles DIME or MIME from the same endpoint; the
caller gets to choose.

-steve

POST http://ranier:8080/zoo/services/zooPort HTTP/1.0

Accept: application/soap+xml, application/dime, multipart/related, text/*

Host: ranier:8080

Cache-Control: no-cache

Pragma: no-cache

SOAPAction: "capeconnect:zorro:zorroPortType#SubmitSimpleJob"

------=_Part_0_29336531.1043789532562

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";>
 <soapenv:Body>
  <ns1:SubmitSimpleJob
soapenv:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/";
xmlns:ns1="http://zoo/binding";>
   <owner_email xsi:type="xsd:string">steve_loughran</owner_email>
   <job_name xsi:type="xsd:string">Chemical Brothers - Pioneer
Skies</job_name>
   <filenames href="#id0"/>
  </ns1:SubmitSimpleJob>
  <multiRef id="id0" soapenc:root="0"
soapenv:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/";
xsi:type="ns2:StringArray"
xmlns:soapenc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/";
xmlns:ns2="http://ranier:8080/zoo/dtds/zoo.xsd";>
   <elt xsi:type="xsd:string">Chemical Brothers - Pioneer Skies.mp3</elt>
  </multiRef>
 </soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

------=_Part_0_29336531.1043789532562