On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 14:02, Anne Thomas Manes wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> I suggest that you ask this question on the JXTA list. As I recall, there
> were a few folks playing with JXTA and SOAP a while ago.

I know. It seems quite dead now though, but they did use Axis.

> So what is your goal? To use JXTA as your discovery/connection method? I
> certainly don't see any problem transferring a SOAP message using JXTA.

Yes.

> Axis provides a simple transport framework that permits you to use a variety
> of transport protocols. So you can use it with HTTP, SMTP, Jabber, etc. I
> don't know if anyone on this list has build a transport plug-in for JXTA.

Hmm... Are these "transport plug-ins" Java/Axis-specific? I thought it
would be logical to define a JXTA SOAP binding much like the HTTP SOAP
binding. Or are you saying both are needed? I.e. a SOAP-level binding
that describes e.g. how the SOAP request-response mode correlates to
JXTA communication, and a Axis-level plug-in to support this.

> (Note that JXTA isn't really a transport -- it operates at a higher level
> and can run over a variety of transports, but I think you could still use
> JXTA as a SOAP transport.)

Well, I suppose you could use it at different levels. You could embed
JXTA messages in SOAP messages just as well as the other way around. But
what I am working on is service discovery in P2P networks and I thought
WSDL and SOAP would be useful for describing services. I will also use
DAML-S for semantic descriptions for the "web" services (actually p2p
services in my case).

Thank you for your input
/Daniel