You need to get Tomcat to reload the classes themselves, not just have Axis look at an
updated deployment.  To do this, you can restart Tomcat.  Or, if you don't want to
restart Tomcat, you can (usually) "touch" (just updates modified time of the file and
makes Tomcat think something has changed) the web.xml file in the webapps/axis/WEB-INF
directory.  I have this as part of my ant deployment script:

    <!-- Target: "touchapp" -->
    <target name="touchapp"
        description="Touch app web.xml, triggering a class reload within a few
seconds, without restarting tomcat"

        <touch file="${tomcat.dir}/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/web.xml" />
    </target>

--
Dan Kamins