Actually, I think the empty interfaces are not the problem.  It seems to me that they
are just marker interfaces for subclassing whatever [de]serializer(s) you want to use
and store in a TypeMappingRegistry.  The real problem is that there is no way, through
the JAXRPC API to get to the TypeMappingRegistry at the  service endpoint.  The
implementations (at least AXIS and the Sun RI/SI) let you configure TypeMappings in
the endpoint deployment config files (WSDD for Axis and jaxrpc-ri.xml for Sun).  But
this approach is not standardized in JAXRPC.

IMHO, this seems to be a shortcoming of the JAXRPC standard.  If web services are to
become widely adopted, I think that developers need a "plug and play" approach to
[de]serialization that encourages a market for such tools to develop.